GLIAS

GREATER LONDON INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY SOCIETY

Home | Membership | News | Diary | Courses | Noticeboard | Books | Links | Database | e-papers | Contact

London Hydraulic Power pumping station, Wapping

Address: Glamis Road, Wapping

LHP, Glamis Road, Wapping.  Robert Mason, 28.3.12 LHP, Glamis Road, Wapping.  Robert Mason, 28.3.12

LHP station opened 1892. Coal delivered to adjacent Shadwell Basin and water extracted from this same dock. Six boilers provided steam for six inverted vertical triple-expansion pumping engines; hydraulic energy stored in two accumulators. Two electric turbo pumps added 1923, plant radically modernised 1950s. Steam plant replaced by electric pumps which continued until closure summer 1977. World's last working hydraulic pumping station on public supply system. Much plant removed, but now plans for orchestral rehearsal studio. Tanks to be removed from roofs at the back. Adjacent is underground water storage reservoir, 354805, which held 420,000 gallons. Roof supported on cast-iron columns with beam and jack-arch spanning system.

Text taken from the GLIAS Database

Relevant GLIAS articles:

See also:

The Wapping Project


© GLIAS, 2005